Avocado Grits with Roasted Mushrooms and Kale
Fresh shiitake mushrooms deeply roasted and tossed with sautéed Tuscan kale, served atop creamy avocado grits, finished with peppery mushroom gravy, and pickled Fresno chilies.
Avocado Grits Ingredients
- 1 Cups Good Foods™ Avocado Pulp
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 Cup Oat Milk
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Cup Grits
- 1 Tablespoon Plant-Based Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
1. Combine water, oat milk, salt, and pepper to a boil in a small saucepot.
2. Whisk in grits and simmer until tender.
3. Finish grits with butter, avocado puree, and lemon juice. Hold hot until ready to serve.
Peppered Mushroom Gravy Ingredients
- 2 ½ Cups Cremini Mushrooms, Chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Black Peppercorns, Coarse Ground
- 3 Tablespoons Plant-Based Butter
- 3 Tablespoons AP Flour
- 2 Cups Oat Milk
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
1. In a medium saucepot over medium-high heat, combine mushrooms, peppercorns, and plant-based butter, and mix well to combine.
2. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are caramelized and peppercorns are toasted, about 4-6 minutes.
3. Add flour and stir to incorporate. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes, until flour is toasted and begins to smell nutty.
4. Add oat milk and stir to combine. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5-7 minutes, until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
5. Remove from heat, season with salt to taste, and reserve warm for service.
Pickled Fresno Peppers Ingredients
- 2 Cups Fresno Peppers Sliced Thin
- ¼ Cup Water
- ¾ Cup Rice Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Yellow Mustard Seed
1. Combine all ingredients EXCEPT sliced peppers in a medium sauce pot set over medium heat.
2. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
3. Pour this liquid over the sliced peppers and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to use
Mushrooms, Kale and Avocado Grits Ingredients
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Shiitake Mushrooms, Medium Dice
- 1 Cup Kale, Cleaned and Coarsely Chopped
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Avocado Grits
- ¼ Cup Peppered Mushroom Gravy
- 1 Tablespoon Pickled Fresno Peppers
1. In a medium sauté pan set over medium-high heat, add olive oil.
2. When oil is shimmering but not smoking, add mushrooms and saute until golden brown.
3. Add kale and salt, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until kale has wilted, about 2 minutes.
4. In serving dish, add grits, top with mushroom and kale mixture, then mushroom gravy, and finish with pickled peppers.